Today we are going to discuss about a plant that is widely known as luffa. This is one incredible and very tasty plant that has been used for quite some time now by certain populations, but it has not been very popular through the entire world.
This plant contains a lot of nutrients which are able to do wonders for the body. Vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, lipids and much more – all of them can be found in the luffa! This is why we strongly advise you to stick around and find out what can this particular plant do for you and why you should consider adding it into your regular dieting plan.
1. Will prevent any eye ailments – the Vitamin A which is found in the luffa prevents you from the macular degeneration that frequently leads to blindness. A study conducted in the National Eye Institute shows that people who consumed Vitamin C, Vitamin A, copper, Vitamin E and zinc, their chances of macular degeneration was decreased by 25% within a period of six years. The same study also shows that the eye drops with Vitamin A effectively treat the dry eyes. Including the Vitamin A rich food luffa fruit in your regular diet may help to reduce eye issues.
2. Will provide you with cardiovascular benefits – there is a lot of Vitamin B5 in 900 mg dose and it is able to help you reduce the bad cholesterol as well asb the triglycerides which reduce the chances of any cardiovascular diseases from happening. As 900 mg dosage is the highest amount, one should definitely consult their physician before taking it.
3. It is able to prevent diabetes – the manganese is essential for the production of all of the digestive enzymes which are responsible for a process that is called gluconeogenesis. There was a research conducted by the Department of Internal Medicine and Biochemistry which showed that mice who were given the manganese had their glucose tolerance definitely improved within a period of only 12 weeks. The manganese had promoted the secretion of insulin, reduced the lipid peroxidation and enhanced the mitochondrial function.
4. It is able to prevent muscle pain – the potassium is able to balance out the fluid levels and help in relaxing the muscles. The low presence of the potassium can lead to the muscle cramps, spasms as well as pain. Thankfully, the potassium assists to break down the protein and carbs on which the muscle depends in order to make their proper repair and energy.
5. Will reduce the symptoms of arthritis – the copper will provide you with anti inflammatory properties which soothe the stiffness and pain that is usually related to arthritis. It is able to assist with the muscular strength as well as with repairing the connective tissue. The people who are dealing with arthritis wear copper bands or bracelets as it is believed that the copper can reduce all of the painful symptoms.
6. Can treat anemia too – the Vitamin B6 is essential to the production of hemoglobin in the blood which will in turn help to transport the oxygen right to the cells and mobilize the iron. The anemia is the result of inadequate red blood cells. The patients who are dealing with anemia might experience the following symptoms such as aches, fatigue and pain. There was one studythat showed that the consumption of Vitamin B6 in adequate amount can reduce the symptoms of anemia and prevent its occurring in the first place.
7. Will provide you with an excellent skin health – one particular study has shown that the high intake of Vitamin C can reduce the skin dryness, wrinkles and slows down the overall aging process. The Vitamin C is essential for the production of protein in order to form tendons, skin, blood vessels and ligaments. It can also assist in the healing process of wound and also form a scar tissue too.
8. It is the best way to get rid of migraines and headaches – the extremely low amount of magnesium in the body is frequently related to migraines and headaches. The magnesium is able to assist in balancing out the neurotransmitters within the entire body. There was one particular study which was published in the Expert Review of Neurotherapeutics which showed that the dose of 300 milligrams of magnesium on a daily basis can lower the recurrence of migraines as well as headaches.
9. If you are eager to improve the brain function, this is the thing for you – a lot of oxygen is required for the brain to function in a proper way. Lack of oxygen in the brain results with a poor memory, apathy and decrease of the productivity in the absence of iron as the brain won’t receive the proper amount of oxygen. The deficiency of iron more often leads to restlessness, irritation and inattentiveness.
10. For all those who are dealing with type 2 diabetes – all of the food rich in magnesium are able to help in reducing the chances of type 2 diabetes because the magnesium is essential for the glucose metabolism. The dose of 100 milligrams of magnesium in a day will be able to reduce the chances of diabetes by amazing 15 percent.
Different parts of the plant are used in the folklor ethnomedicine. It is believed that the luffa plant contains pectoral, carminative, anthelmintic and properties which are cooling to the blood, and it can facilitate circulation and act as an antiseptic, emmenagogue and galactagogue too. This particular fruit is used as a tonic to the genital organs, beneficial to the intestines, demulcent and cooling or warming to the stomach as well.
The dried fruit is used as an emetic after steeped. The juice of the leaf is used to cure amenorrhea and particularly the people of India use it to treat snake bites and dysentery. In the Philippines the skin diseases and orchitis are treated by using only the leaves.
The seeds are used as cathartic, emetic and hydragogue too. The infusion made from the seeds of this plant is used as an anthelmintic drastic and purgative. The extracts of the root and the vine are both helpful for preventing tooth decay, ozoena and any parasitic affections. The extract from the leaves can help to induce labor during childbirths and it is used in Western Uganda for this particular reason.
You can consume the luffa in a variety of ways, however you seem fit or however is up to your liking. What you definitely need to remember right before we wrap things up is that the luffa should by all means be consumed in moderation, and excessive amounts of it should definitely be avoided. Other than that, feel free to indulge in the amazing taste of this plant!
Embed This Image On Your Site (copy code below):