You are all acquainted with the pinkish and large stalks with leaves of the rhubarb plant. They are beginning to get all the attention, and plenty of people were astonished to hear that this plant is actually very high in nutritional value.
It is a plant commonly used in the south of America, and even though it may resemble the celery, it is actually considered to be a fruit. Whichever way you decide to prepare it, whether it is grilled, broiled, baked or you decide to consume it raw, adding the rhubarb in your every day dieting plan will provide you with several surprising health benefits.
1. Will promote weight loss – the rhubarb is both a fruit and a veggie. The rhubarb is considered to be the lowest calorie veggie on the market, and this is why it is recommended for people who are dealing with weight issues and still want to preserve their health. 100 grams of rhubarb contains about 21 calories, this is why you can eat a bundle of it without gaining any weight. The impact that all of the different organic compounds in the rhubarb can have on the metabolism of the body can drastically increase the rate with which the body burns fat, thus helping you lose weight with each passing day.
2. Can treat cardiovascular diseases – the rhubarb is known to be extremely low in cholesterol as well as fats, making the vegetable pose no threat to the cardiovascular health, and it can actually increase the levels of good HDL cholesterol in the body mostly because of the presence of dietary fiber.
The dietary fiber is known to get rid of the excess cholesterol from the walls of the arteries and blood vessels. In addition to this, the impressive amount of antioxidants in the rhubarb will ensure you that the free radicals will not cause any heart disease and will protect you from various other health issues.
3. Will aid digestion – the digestive system plays a very important role in the overall health of the body, and this is why it is important to keep the digestive system regulated and well balanced. The extremely high amount of dietary fiber which is found in the rhubarb will guarantee you a healthy digestive system because it will build up bulk in your stool, making sure that your bowel movements are regular too.
Traditionally, the rhubarb has been used as a cure for constipation, but it has only recently been discovered that it contained such powerful effects. By easing the constipation as well as other digestive issues, you will be able to prevent a wider range of much more serious gastrointestinal issues, including cramping, bloating, and colorectal cancer.
4. It is able to prevent Alzheimer’s disease – actually, the most prominent vitamin in the rhubarb is the Vitamin K, and even though it does not get much attention as some of the other vitamins, the Vitamin K is able to play an important role in the health of the brain. It is able to prevent the oxidation of the brain cells and stimulate the cognitive activity, thus reducing the risk of Alzheimer’s disease.
5. It will improve the health of your bones – along with the role of stimulating the brain and protecting it from any neural degeneration, the Vitamin K is also able to promote osteotrophic activity, meaning it stimulates the growth of bones and their repair. When it is combined with the high amount of calcium, or any other mineral found in the rhubarb, this is a vegetable that plays a big role in protection of the bones.
6. It will prevent cancer – the antioxidants have been widely studied in recent years because of their ability to neutralize the free radicals through the entire body. The free radicals are the byproduct of the cellular metabolism and can cause the healthy cells to mutate into cancerous cells or die, often resulting in cancer or any other chronic disease.
The rhubarb is an excellent source of beta carotene and other polyphenolic compounds like lutein and zeanxanthin that act in a similar way to the Vitamin A, providing protection to the skin and eyes from the effects of the free radicals. The decent amount of antioxidants in your dieting plan will help you avoid the premature aging, macular degeneration, cataracts and wrinkles. Furthermore, these exact polyphenolic compounds have been connected to preventing the oral and lung cancer.
7. Will improve your blood circulation – the trace amounts of copper and iron found in the rhubarb are more than enough to stimulate the production of new red blood cells, increasing the total of RBC count within the body and increase the oxygenation of the essential areas of the body, thus improving their function and boosting the overall metabolism within the body.
8. You will live longer – by adding a cup of rhubarb to your daily serving of veggies and fruits will drastically lower the risk of developing certain cancers, along with some heart related issues. The vitamins as well as the minerals which are found in the stalks of rhubarb are able to lower the risk of developing dementia, and preventing any cartilage from occurring and causing painful arthritis. The rhubarb will not only help you live longer, but it will keep you active during the golden years.
9. It is excellent for the skin – this is probably one of the most shocking health benefits which are associated with the rhubarb. It works as a skin treatment that makes wonders for your skin, and it makes it look younger. All of the vitamins and the minerals found in one cup of this veggie help stimulate the rejuvenation of skin cells and brighten the natural looks of your skin. Also, it is able to fight off the free radicals that cause the signs of aging, thus providing you with a healthy skin glow you will be proud to show off.
10. Reduce your stress – if you want to maintain your overall health and well being, you will have to reduce the high levels of stress in your body. One cup of this veggie will dramatically reduce the tension in the body. Also, the Vitamin K along with the other nutrients found in this plant will reduce the stress that is the cause of depression, anxiety and inflammation.
This is a leafy fruit that contains potassium and magnesium which are essential to reducing the levels of stress in the body, as well as lower the high blood pressure levels too. Once you have lowered your levels of stress, you will generally notice the immediate improvement of your entire body.
It is pretty shocking to learn that this is a plant that is considered both as a fruit and as a veggie, mostly because of the amazing content of nutrients that lie within it. There are endless ways for you to add the rhubarb into your every day dieting plan, from trying to grill it to adding the fresh and raw form of it in a salad. You will be able to improve the overall health of your body, so we strongly recommend that you add it into your dieting plan.
Embed This Image On Your Site (copy code below):