This is the kind of a veggie that is often stumbled upon on in the menus in restaurants, but this is also probably one of the most nutrient dense plants in the world. This is why it has been included in various traditional meals, literally all around the world. We are speaking about the bok choy and all of its 13 calories in one serving.
This is quite an amazing veggie that will make all the difference in your body. It is filled with all kinds of different nutrients, among which some of the most wanted vitamins and minerals. So, today we are going to help you find out all about these nutrients and the benefits that come along with it.
1. Will improve the strength of your bones – probably one of the most obvious benefits that come with the bok choy is the ability of it to maintain the bone structure as well as the mineral density of the bones. By having the combination of several crucial minerals such as iron, magnesium, zinc and calcium (all of them being found in the bok choy), will help keeping osteoporosis at bay and keep the stability and the strength of the bones well into your advanced years. In addition to this, the extremely high levels of Vitamin K which are found in the bok choy have been associated with the increased risk of bone fractures as you get older.
2. Boosts the overall circulation of the body – even though the iron has received some criticism in the recent years when found in abundance in the body, particularly in men, is actually still a crucial part of the production of the red blood cells within the body. So, for all of those people who are not getting enough iron in their body, consuming the bok choy can solve that problem in an easy and efficient way. This is all because the normal levels of iron in the body maintain the proper circulation and the oxygenation in the vital organs as well as the extremities of the body.
3. Can help you heal in a faster way – the Vitamin K is an excellent part of every dieting plan, and it is connected to maintainig the health of the bones, the heart as well as acting as a blood clotting agent. So, when it comes to someone who is recovering from an injury or has just underwent surgery, or experiencing excess bleeding, hemorrhoids or a heavy menstruation, the bok choy is considered to be the remedy that can work wonders for you.
4. It will prevent any chronic diseases – the bok choy, just like any other types of cabbage and cruciferous veggies, contains many compounds which are sulfur based and are directly linked to lowering your chances of developing cancer. All of these compounds act as antioxidants and eliminate the free radicals just before they have a chance to cause some healthy cells to mutate and induce the oxidative stress in the tissues and the organs.
5. Takes good care of your eyes – one of the main components of the bok choy is the Vitamin A, which is comprised out of multiple carotenoids, including the alpha carotene and beta carotene. In addition to this, the Vitamin A has been connected to the health of the eyes, as well as preventing you from developing macular degeneration and the oxidative stress which is found in the retina. All of this means that this strange pronouncing veggie is added to the salads in order to keep your vision for a couple of extra years.
6. Improve your cardiovascular health with it – some of the components found in the bok choy, among which is the Vitamin B6 and the folic acid, are all directly connected to maintaining the health of the heart. To be a little more specific than that, these substances are able to reduce the homocystiene in the blood, which is considered to be a strong indicator of a heart disease, among some other cardiovascular issues. In addition to this, some minerals which are found in the bok choy are able to regulate the function of the heart at an optimal level, ensuring that the blood pressure is appropriate, thus reducing the risk of a stroke, heart attack and atherosclerosis.
7. Boost your entire immune system – there are several vitamins in the bok choy, but among them, the Vitamin C has the highest concentration. All of this means that this is a veggie that can able you to improve the function of your entire immune system. The Vitamin C is not only capable of stimulating the production of white blood cells in the body, but it is also able to act as an antioxidant, preventing the oxidative stress as well as the chronic diseases that may occur all around the body. Also, the Vitamin C is an important part of the collagen production, which is necessary for healing as well as recovery on every cell on the body.
8. Takes care of your skin – what lot of the people are not aware of is that the Vitamin C really does play an importantrole in the production of collagen, thus maintaining the healthy appearance of the skin. Every skin cell needs collagen in order to be formed, and when it comes to the bok choy, there is a lot of Vitamin C that can make it happen – about a third of your daily Vitamin C requirements. This means you can definitely add it to your dieting plan in order to help you rejuvenate your skin.
9. Can lower your blood pressure – there is about 20% of your daily recommended potassium intake in a single serving of bok choy. This is significantly important for the health of the heart, as the potassium is able to act as a vasodilator in order to relieve the tension on the blood vessels, thus lowering the strain on the cardiovascular system. Also, the potasium is a critical aspect of the bone health as well as water balance through the entire body.
10. Finally, a word of caution – because of th extremely high levels of Vitamin K in the bok choy, the patients who are already taking blood clotting medicine should consult with their doctor prior to adding the bok choy into their dietary plans. Also, if you happen to be consuming it in extreme amounts, it can have a negative outcome on the thyroid gland. However, this is an option which is destroyed by cooking the bok choy.
We are hoping that you have found all of this helpful and we have helped you reconsider whether you should add the bok choy in your dietary plan or not. The answer is definitely and undoubtedly yes! Start consuming it from today and enjoy the benefits.
Embed This Image On Your Site (copy code below):